What is Qi Gong?
Qi Gong, or “working with life energy”, is a holistic system of self-healing that combines movement, meditation, breath regulation, and self-massage to stimulate and balance the flow of Qi, or vital life energy, along the energy pathways in the body. People of all ages and physical abilities can learn Qi Gong to improve their physical, mental, and spiritual well-being. Qi Gong is unique among fitness programs in that it can be performed while standing, walking, sitting, or lying down, thus making it suitable for those with physical disabilities or those confined to a bed or wheelchair.
The Importance of Diaphragmatic Breathing
Perhaps the most important and most immediate benefit of Qi Gong exercise is learning proper breathing technique. Normally when one breathes, the lungs expand on inhale and compress on exhale. However, one can use their diaphragm, which is the strong sheet of muscle that separates the chest from the abdomen, to pull downward on inhale, allowing the lungs to expand with oxygen, and to push upward on exhale, allowing the lungs to more completely expel carbon dioxide. This is called diaphragmatic breathing (also known as “belly breathing”).
Diaphragmatic breathing is critical to achieving full oxygen exchange: maximizing oxygen intake and carbon dioxide outtake. Diaphragmatic breathing can also slow one’s heart rate, lower or stabilize one’s blood pressure, and promote relaxation.
Benefits of Qi Gong
- Increased lung capacity and energy
- Enhances efficiency of immune system through increased rate and flow of lymphatic fluid, and the production and activation of immune cells
- Improves resistance to disease and infection by accelerating the elimination of toxic by-products
- Lowers bad cholesterol (LDL) and increases good cholesterol (HDL), reducing risk of heart disease
- Increases efficiency of cell metabolism and tissue regeneration through increased circulation of oxygen and nutrient-rich blood to the brain, organs, and tissues
- Strengthens the insulin beta receptor sites to reduce the risk of diabetes
- Slows the aging process by increasing the secretion of human growth hormone
- Reduces appetite and cravings, promoting weight loss
- Initiates “relaxation response”, which decreases heart rate and blood pressure, dilates blood capillaries, and optimizes deliver of oxygen to tissues
- Alters neurochemistry profile to moderate feelings of pain and depression
- Improves mood by increasing the production of serotonin and endorphins
- Induces alpha and theta brain waves, which facilitate mental focus for deeper meditation and enlightenment
Qi Gong exercise is best learned under the guidance of an experienced instructor to maximize benefits and minimize risk of injury. After having received training, one should practice daily for at least 30 minutes in the morning, after showering, and before breakfast to maximize Qi cultivation.
Learn Qi Gong with Adriana
- 60 minutes: $60
- 90 minutes: $80
|# People||Price per Person per Hour|
|6+||Contact for Pricing|
Plan in advance three or more Qi Gong sessions for a 5% discount. Pay in advance three or more sessions for an additional 5% discount.